Servicemember issues have been in the news for a few years now. Financial Institutions have been taking great care not to treat servicemembers and their family members less favorably, due to the great compliance and reputation risks problems in this area present. But what exactly are the rules?
The Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA) is the most well-known, of course. But there are other considerations, such as fair lending and even UDAAP. And the new Military Lending Act (MLA) regulations have kicked in. These rules will introduce significant new requirements for ALL lenders, whether they know it or not yet. Lenders that believe they don’t have issues to deal with for military customers may unfortunately be taken by surprise.
Does your institution know the rules, and what to do and not do? This webinar is designed to address all these issues, and especially the new MLA rules, so you can be prepared. Know what it means to reduce the interest rate on active duty borrowers to 6%, as well as various other protections against foreclosure and other areas. Know how to determine whether you have a "covered borrower" under the MLA and SCRA, as the standards are different.
We'll also talk about some of the more-recent enforcement actions taken against other institutions, to learn from others' mistakes.
- MLA rules - what are they all about?
- Verifying status under the MLA and SCRA
- What do we have to do when someone is covered?
- Caps and rate restrictions under the rules
- Principal SCRA protections, including the interest rate reduction provision
- What does active duty mean? How do you know for sure who is covered? Plus, who is NOT covered?
- Dealing with the DMDC website to confirm status
- Permanent Change of Station (PCS) guidance
- When does coverage end? Does it?
- Foreclosure and default judgment protections
- HUD Form 92070 - what it is and when to provide it
- Protection against eviction
- Steps to take now
Who Should Attend?
Anyone in the institution that might encounter Servicemembers and Servicemember accounts. This includes frontline staff, managers, auditors, lenders, and underwriters.
"This has been the best webinar I've attended. The instructor is very knowledgeable!" -- Andrew Olker, Superior Choice Credit Union
Please note: This site employs features that may cause unexpected behavior in older versions of Internet Explorer. If you experience a problem, try refreshing your screen. If this doesn't solve the problem, click on this link.
You may contact us by using the Online Chat button below.